Links of Interest to Adult Music Students
Links to other sites are provided for information, courtesy, and convenience only. Links to those sites do not imply endorsements of the contents of those sites. Linked sites are not under the control of The Adult Music Student Forum, and The Adult Music Student Forum is not responsible for those sites.
If you know of other resources that might be of interest to adult musicians, please let us know by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Alan Fraser Piano Institute, Smith College, MA
- AlpenKammerMusik, Professionals and amateurs playing chamber music as one community, Liesing, Austria
- Apple Hill Center for Chamber Music, Nelson, NH
- Arizona Chamber Music Experience, Paradise Valley, AZ
- Asheville Chamber Music Retreat, Asheville, NC
- Basically Quartets, A course designed for adult amateur string players in Penmaenmawr, North Wales
- BSO Academy, A week-long intensive, immersive experience for adult amateur musicians to rehearse and collaborate with BSO musicians, culminating in evening performance, Baltimore, MD
- Cambridge Early Music Summer Schools, Cambridge, England
- Cellospeak, Lessons, ensembles, cello choir; beginners to advanced; virtuoso faculty, Orkney Springs, VA
- Chorworks Concerts and Workshop, George Washington University, Washington, DC
- Curtis Institute Chamber Music for Adult Musicians, Philadelphia, PA
- English Camerata Summer School of Chamber Music , Shrewsbury, England
- Hardanger Fiddle Association of America, Dodgeville, WI
- Jacobs School of Music, Chamber Music for Amateurs, Bloomington, IN
- Kinhaven Music School, Weston, Vermont
- Lisa Friend London Flute Summer Class, London, England
- Midsummer Adult Piano Retreat, Williams College, MA (See member review.)
- Midwinter Adult Piano Retreat, Lake Worth, Florida
- Midsummer Musical Retreat, Walla Walla, Washington
- National Music Festival, Chestertown, MD
- Point Counterpoint, Adult Chamber Workshops in Leicester, Vermont
- Portland String Quartet , Chamber Music by the Sea in Harpswell, Maine
- Rami's Rhapsody Piano Camp, Utica, New York
[Read My Experiences at Rami's Rhapsody Piano Camp], one member's review.
- Rocky Ridge Music Center, Estes park, Colorado
Click on "Programs" for information on workshops for adults.
[Read Music in the Mountains], one member's review.
- SCOR! String camps for adults, 12 locations eastern US
- Sonata (and Sonatina for children), Old Bennington, Vermont.
[Read My Experience at Autumn Sonata], one member's review.
- Summer Keys, Lubec, Maine
- Walden School Creative Musicians Retreat, New England
- Woodland Chamber Music Workshop, Lake Superior resort in Tofte, Minnesota
- VIP Academy, Vienna, Austria
International program of masterclasses, concerts and lectures for young professional music students and talented amateur adults
- Boston International Piano Competition for Exceptional Amateurs
- Gina Bachauer International Piano Foundation
- International Competition for Outstanding Piano Amateurs, Paris
- Peabody Mason International Piano Competition, Boston
- Van Cliburn Foundation
- International Piano Amateur Competition Berlin
- Washington International Piano Amateur Competition Washington, D.C.
- Alexander Technique Center
Provides information about the Alexander Technique, a technique of psychophysical coordination of the whole person applied to music making
- Alexander Technique Teachers of Greater Washington
Regional Washington, D.C. listing of Alexander Technique teachers
- Art Songs, A Guided Tour
Lectures and Live Performances. Co-sponsors: FAES Graduate School, NIH, and Levine School of Music. Information: 301-496-7976 or www.FAES.org
- Complete Guide to the Alexander Technique
A comprehensive source of information about this century-old method of learning how to release harmful tension from your body
- Guitar Tricks
A site to help you learn blues guitar (and other styles) via 2500+ online guitar lessons accessible by monthly subscription
- International Piano Archives at Maryland
A unique resource for the study, appreciation, and preservation of the classical piano repertoire and its performance.
- Jazz Piano Lessons
A site devoted to helping you learn jazz online at your own pace
- Lancaster Conservatory of Music, Inc
Small nonprofit that provides music lessons for the community of Lancaster, PA
- Levine School
A Washington, D.C. area community music school offering music education to students of all ages and stages of life. Four locations in NW and SE DC, Maryland and Virginia. Free concert series.
- Music Education Online
A site devoted to music education
- Musical Fossils
A series of articles on piano pedagogy written by Matthew Harre, founder of the Adult Music Forum and a long-time teacher of both children and adults
A subsidiary of the Dallas School of Music that provides music education services to students of all ages. Site resources include Support Center, Document Center, e-mail access to faculty, and community discussion forums.
- National Piano Foundation
Educational arm of the Piano Manufacturers Association International
- Performing Arts Library, Univ. MD
International piano archives, special collections in performing arts, and other resources for study of music, theatre, and dance
- The Piano Education Page
Resource for music teachers, students and fans of the piano, an educational outreach activity of West Mesa Music Teachers Assoc.
- Washington Conservatory
Nationally accredited independent community music school in Washington, D.C. offering classes and private lessons for both children and adults and a free concert series.
- Washington Performing Arts Society Programs for Adults
WPAS and The Smithsonian Associates join forces to present programs that bring audiences closer to legendary artists and composers.
- Ardsley Musical Instrumental Services, Ltd
Musical instrument rentals, sales, repairs, supplies
- BMC Online Musical Instruments Store
Instruments, accessories, a news page and more
Vocal teaching resources, diction aids, translations, accompaniments
- The Orpheon Foundation
Museum of Historical Musical Instruments, Vienna, Austria
- Potters Violins
Stringed instrument sales and repair
- To join in the Musical Fossils discussion, visit Matthew Harre's site at MusicalFossils.com and then click on "Participate."
Please note that AMSF does not make teacher recommendations. To find a music teacher, AMSF recommends that you contact your local music teachers association(s).
- In the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area:
- National Association of Teachers of Singing - site includes a "Find a Teacher" database.
- Amateur Chamber Musicians and Players, Inc.
A nonprofit association of more than 5,000 members that facilitates informal playing and singing by people of all ages and nationalities, beginners to professionals.
- Amateur pianists meetup groupsCheck out this site to see if there is an amateur piano meetup group organized in your locale.
- Amateur Classical Music Association
A nonprofit performing arts organization in Manhattan dedicated to providing performance and networking opportunities for the non-professional classical musician.
- American Music Conference
National non-profit association dedicated to promoting music making and music education
- American Music Therapy Association, Inc.
Association dedicated to advancing public awareness of the benefits of music therapy and improving access to quality music therapy services
- Association of Adult Musicians with Hearing Loss
Association for adult musicians with significant hearing loss, audiologists with an interest in music and hearing loss, and music educators seeking to increase their knowledge of teaching applied music to individuals with hearing loss
- Boston Piano Amateurs
Non profit association founded in 2001 to provide performance opportunities, master classes and workshops to amateur adult musicians
- The Cultural Alliance of Greater Washington
Regional Washington D.C. arts organization that promotes the interests of artists, cultural arts organizations and the community
- Music For People
Grass roots organization dedicated to re-vitalizing music making and promoting music as a means of self-expression
- National Association for Music Education
An organization whose mission is to advance music education by encouraging the study and making of music by all
- New Horizons International Music Association
an organization that assists regional groups to provide music instruction and performance opportunities for adults.
- National Piano Foundation
Educational arm of the Piano Manufacturers Association Intl. Site contains information on the history of pianos and how to buy a piano.
- Piano Technicians Guild
A not-for-profit association whose website offers information about pianos, piano tuners and technicians, and piano purchasing, tuning and repair
- The Sacramento Saturday Club
The "granddaddy" of AMSF-like organizations, founded in 1893 to foster the musical involvement of members and to stimulate musical interests in the Sacramento area
- Bridge to Music Project - a comprehensive music school directory designed to help music students find programs in the U.S.; includes festivals and workshops; expanding into Canada and Western Europe.
- Classical Connect - "a virtual concert hall and the biggest searchable collection of classical music on the Internet. "
- Craft of Piano - a new approach to piano technique
- Free Jazz Lessons
- Making Music - a magazine dedicated to "better living through recreational music making. "
- Music For The Love Of It
Bimonthly newsletter for people who love making music
Warehouse of free music resources and educational material
- My Panyard
Gateway to Learning about the Steelpan Instrument
- Music Resources on the World Wide Web, compiled by Yale University Music Library
- Online Guitar Books
Online resource for guitar teachers and players
- Music Dictionary App
- Piano Forte News
A newsletter for adult amateur pianists
- Piano Society
A non-profit classical music organization founded in 2004 that has "grown to the largest resource of free classical piano recordings" on the internet. Also a source of free scores.
- Top 100 Piano Sites
Links to sheet music, piano lessons, and piano dealers
- Worldwide Internet Musical Resources, sponsored by the William and Gayle Cook Music Library, Indiana University, has been called the "mother of all internet music resources"
- Center for Arts and Wellness Resource List
Resource list for musicians and performers in the greater Washington DC area maintained by George Mason University Center for Arts and Wellness
- Harmonious Bodies
Physical therapy practice that helps you play your instrument without pain.
- Musicians' Clincs of Canada
This informative site provides important information about hearing loss and other music related injuries and their prevention
- The Performing Arts Medicine Association (PAMA)
Organization of physicians and allied professionals dedicated to improving health care and treatment of performing artists through education, research, and teaching